Wednesday, December 03, 2008

ComingTogether

Am watching a TV channel showing the spontaneous coming together of thousands of Indians at Gateway of India. Quiet, thousands of candles, no single organiser. Just a coming together of very sad, grieving, angry people. Sharp minds who took a stance on what they wanted from the new India. When they said Jai Hind, the voices had a different resonance . In my heart too. For the first few times, I feel ownership of our Indian tag.

What do our politicians feel when they see this outpouring of grief, this rejection , disgust , hatred and condemation of their presence . I hope they remember we are Indians - expressing what we feel . And for us, they are Enemy No 1, the one they are trying to get us to hate is jsut slipped to Enemy No 2.

As my husband said just now, I once again feel proud for a second, to be Indian. After the Ultimate Cleanser Raj Thackeray ruthlessly divided us, an external tragedy has now united us. Maybe I am swayed easily , but since its on the good side of the continuum , I want to .

I am glad I am .

No comments: