Sunday, March 16, 2008

Rani , the Traffic Dog


There she is on the mid right of the picture -a small dot curled up under the traffic umbrella, if you can spot her .
I first saw her crossing our road soon after we moved home. It was just past 8 am . She sniffed at , but ignored the biscuits I had scattered for her , but moved on to the traffic signal . All the school traffic, crisscrossing cars , pedestrians , I was a little worried . She curled up near the traffic umbrella, right at the middle of the road . And then returned to pacing , much like a mother waiting for her carousing son to return home. Not overtly anxious, and seemingly in control , but intently listening, ears straining, to any sound or sight that signified the return of the prodigal. Her tension was palpable. Up down up down. And then 8.30 am the Traffic Policeman arrived . She greeted him with relief , but with restraint and dignity , and promptly settled down at his feet , as he started his day guiding traffic , and went to sleep . The anxiety was now history .

That was my first introduction to Rani , the pragmatic High Grounds Canine Traffic Mascot .

She is an indeterminate furry tan , triangular ears, black nose and swishy tail. She doesn’t look like anything special , just your average ,well maintained street dog . But she’s a dog on duty .

I watch her nearly every day as I get to work . The routine is the same , day after day . If her informal owner is a little late signing in , she moves up , and waits discreetly outside High Grounds Police Station , and then accompanies him at a safe distance to his place of work -wherever he is stationed that day . There is no great moment or display of canine affection , even a bark or lick to signify pleasure or belonging . I watch the daily routine from my car , waiting for the signal to change to green , always a little worried that she should not come to harm. With the ease born of long experience, she moves across busy traffic , crossing effortlessly , almost casually weaving through whizzing cars, but anxiously picking up pace if she sees the uniforms moving elsewhere . But quietly and efficiently , she is never more than two feet way from one or the other pair of khaki clad legs. I think Sundays and late nights are her worst times. Neither is her Traffic Cop in chief there , nor the Second in Command. She goes off to curl up somewhere , I am sure , but have no idea where .

But I know she back on duty at 7 am pacing the road , more focused than an attendance register . I have never again attempted to feed her after her several dignified rebuffs, and I know they take care of her . One day , after I found her missing for over a week and asked one of the policemen on duty – who though initially taken aback , immediately suggested I should adopt her ( yeah right, but has he met CJ the killer spaniel !) . I asked him her name , and he looked nonplussed – "Er um , no name as such , but I think we call her umm ..Rani’ . Good, now I have a name, I thought . Rani was back to duty the following week, this time with a bright red collar , but that too mysteriously disappeared a week later , and I must say she looked a little demoted in rank . She has got her own beat , she is sensitive to changes in traffic lanes , which traffic island is the shadiest in the afternoon heat . Rani is one cool dude .

One Sunday afternoon, the bossman caught us for a traffic offense. We didn’t know that a traffic light had been introduced that day on an earlier free right , and the policeman chased us down to stop. I looked at him appalled , while he licked his pencil to start writing the challan. First , I was in the right , I thought ( I wasn’t , but I didn’t know that ! ) and second , this was Rani’’s boss man , and therefore , our friend by canine relationship. "But the rule is new – you know its been implemented today. Moreover, ( as if he ought to know, and it was the final argument ), I am Rani’s friend. How can you book us? ". Now its his turn to look completely taken aback . CJ my spaniel , bent on protecting me, adds to the ruckus by perching at the car window, screaming choice canine abuse at an impassive Rani , who looked at her stoically , but still moved just trifle closer to boss man . The policeman is unused to large, voluble women jumping out of cars , claiming friendship with his dog . Bosses yes, DGPs, sure , Goons sometimes, Ministers maybe, but a dog ? That’s a first . His mouth and eyes widen appreciatively, and he waves us on . I think he will have an interesting anecdote for his colleagues and wife that evening ! Rani gets up , and pads after the Bossman , who is now chasing down yet another hapless culprit .

The picturesque High Grounds Police station has just been torn down, the traffic rules have been radically changed , there is mayhem at peak hours. I think Rani is confused , her job portfolio has changed , and sometimes I see her skittering away when a truck bears down on her , but the sight of familiar pair of khaki clad legs settles her down.

So when you see the familiar sight of a standard issue tan dog, alertly lying at a traffic umbrella on Palace Road , ensure you follow all those constantly changing traffic signals. Rani the Traffic Dog is on duty.

5 comments:

Terri the terrific said...

Priya, that's such an endearing story. All that's missing is a photo.

All Hail said...

I will dig up a picturte - she is not easy to pin down, Terri ! The spouse managed to get one of her but from a distance .
I actually met her just again this morning on my walk . Reading your comment on my return, I thought I would share an update .
With the police station shifted , she is now at a dfifferent corner . But still waiting , stil anxious.
Shes thinner, and because of the incessant rain, her fur is moulting , and she looks thinner. She has dignity , and skittered away again when the familar biscuits were kept before her . I would so like to be friends, but she is a cop dog, so she knows - no fraternising with the proletariat.
Lovely to hear from you again, Terri

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal post...

All Hail said...

Thanks Vijay. Always lovely to get a response from you.
The High Grounds Police station has been torn down, so Rani is a little lost . Doesnt quite know where to report. Bought her a red collar but I too dunno who to give it to !

All Hail said...

Terri the picture is now there along with the blog. You will have to use a magnifying glass near the traffic umbrella. She is shy !