Thursday, May 24, 2007

Powerpoints and Wreaths..

Today was a mixed day .

I was a guest lecturer today for the Women Entrepreneurs Program at IIM Bangalore , and it was wonderful to interact with 65 sharp young women . A great hour and a half , very alive, very high energy , plugged in . Lots of give and take. A realisation that I was so much older than these young women , just a touch of grey . But as I rushed off for another meeting ( that I was of course late for ) , and I heard some of their feedback , specific questions, requests for email address, I was all puffed up in my own esteem.



I return back via the long traffic jams , to Hosur Road to attend the burial of an old friend's wife. Anna was a psychiatrist at NIMHANS , a very kind and caring woman , who sustained and patiently supported many a distressed person, fand their family . Many reached out to her in a crises, or a problem , and she was always there . I hear often about people being described as angels when they are gone, as if non-life automatically entitles you to a set of wings. But Anna really was a Angel - not a bad bone in her body , just kindness and caring . She died of a sudden asthma attack , and although brain dead on arrival to the hospital within the campus , she was resuscitated, and kept on ventilator for nearly a month before she passed on yesterday .



I see fresh earth on her grave , covered by a colorful profusion of what seems like a 100 bouquets , her grieving husband and young daughters beside it , and I take a moment to remember Anna. As did hundreds of people who came by to pay their respects to her . As I stood there looking down at her covered mortal remains , with the profusion of green grass and the bleak black graves and headstones , the splotchy orange of the drenched gulmohar in bloom ,and the increasing moody rain ; I said a prayer for her . I dont know what I want to leave behind when I am gone , but good deeds and caring is a start .



A mixed day.

2 comments:

Loui (and his mum!) said...

I lost a dear friend last year after she too had an asthma attack. Please accept my condolences.

Thank you for stopping by by blog....I shall add you to my roll too!

Loui and his mum xx

Lubna said...

Hi, Got your email and hence landed on your blog. Sorry to learn about your friend.