Friday, June 11, 2010

Of Men and Memorials

There is a lot of back and forth on the Indira Gandhi Park and the Memorial.

Today there was an eminently sensible , pragmatic and well written perspective by dear friend and columnist V Ravichandar in Bangalore Mirror. Ravi is admirably both able to look at this from a macro perspective as well as the civic viewpoint to look at this dispassionately.

However, on this issue let me categorically admit that I may not have the pristine perspective that Ravi does. As one with a vested interest- I do live close by- let me still tell you what bothers me about this effort. Let me establish a couple of things first One is that I used to be a frequent walker in this close by and beautiful park till lethargy got the better of me .I do want the lovely park to be let alone. Second, that I think that many things that Rajeev Chandrasekhar has done from both his personal and ABIDE persona have been commendable. He is one of the few with a strong leaning towards and representation for, the Armed Forces. More power to his elbow. Third, that I have only the facts as mentioned in the papers, but have neither reached out for not double checked the plans, details on Foundation etc. Maybe there is more there, and I should do so. Fourth, the etiquette on a Memorial of this nature coming up in Military land. Apparently bad form to have it anywhere but civilian land. India Gate at Delhi for example.

NIMBY is an interesting and sobering thought that Ravi gently reminded me about today, tongue in cheek and just a little dryly. NIMBY- Not in My Back Yard, you won’t. So all this is laudable and great, but please not in my backyard. I remember a chat with a senior Traffic Cop who mentioned how frustrating it was that neighborhoods would keep petitioning to shift the Bus Stop opposite their flats or home , a little further down the road. But where would it eventually go? It had to go somewhere. Perhaps opposite mine?

The background is this. With the constant pillage of the city – to widening of roads, to the Metro, all good for us, required, reminiscent of tightening belts, analogies of omelet and breaking eggs; in short every little homily that has set our teeth further on edge, here comes another. And this time it’s optional. I think we are bitter with seeing uprooted trees and a stump where there was green, where there was history. And whatever be the motivation, it cannot bring back the green sap that now dries like old blood in dark dead wood. There is anger of a people who have kept quiet over one more green corpse, bowed their head when we were told this was good for you. There is a cloud of betrayal hanging over our heads for all the history and life we chose not to protect in our city, because they had no voice. There are very few of us who have not felt the pain of standing down, of sitting still. Fanciful or not, this is the background.

And here are my thoughts.

An Army Brat myself I was so moved, when the statue of the Unknown Soldier unexpectedly came up a few months ago at the entrance of the same park. The uniformed, handsome young man stood looking out at grassy parkland shady paths and cool trees, perhaps a tiny reflection of the martyrs heaven that he was in right now. I am not ashamed to state that I stood there a full minute , tears in my eyes, unplugging my iPOD from my ears on that cool morning, looking up at the simple but proud bronze statue, and the engraved plaque mounted on the raised platform with a mixture of love and respect. Wondering on what his dream were. Why my fight was his fight. My body inadvertently snapped to attention, and my throat tightened in thanks for this wonderful gesture towards a thousand soldiers who selflessly laid down their lives over decades. Some names we will never know. I have military friends whose widowed mothers still believe their husbands will return sometime. I know about the Unknown Soldier, but only a little.
It was a moment. We could have stayed with that.

The motivation is excellent. Bangalore will have the first such memorial after Delhi. Laudable . and excellent intentions Who is this Foundation ? Why by a private citizen? That park is a happy lung space in crowded Millers/Palace /Ali Asker Road. This is going to make access stringent, rarified. There is a move to set up a memorial, but no one talked about a Motivatonal Hall of 11000 sft. Really, whom are we motivating? And is this ( mind you we are all getting cynical, and seemingly with good reason) really a Trojan Horse?

Even some military men are embarrassed about this controversy. A memorial yes, but all this encroaching of public lung space? NO. Before we know it, we as private citizens will have no access to this place, and I may bring my Dad’s Service Id card for admission. Exclusion, as always.

And d’you know where that is going to be ? I saw concrete marker stones being laid out. Right in the center of the park, In a bower of ancient, bending, gnarled and blindingly green trees , a quiet and serene spot , that is the park’s cynosure. So much so that walkers like us are not allowed by park attendants to hang out there lest we spoil the grass or something. We walk around the periphery, grateful to partake of such effortless beauty, such casual grace . And in all the 16 acres of space, in the periphery, sides, why was this central space chosen? Why a closed structure? Why here? What ownership will the Foundation have? There are millions of beautiful army spots. There are dozens of Memorial Museums within Army HQs like MEG, ASC etc that clearly have the history and salute our heroes.

I know its not a zero sum game, but before we commemorate their noble deaths, lets focus on their living lives. Let’s focus by not buying them sub standard equipment, boots, planes, tanks and ammo. Give them the material to succeed when they are alive , and attempting to protect our country and us; not a Memorial – so that its more accessible and convenient for us to bring out a hanky to mop up our salty tears when they go to their deaths.

Large edifices can only try but rarely take away public guilt. Putting aside the murder of the Hariyali aur Raasta , which is no quid pro quo for those brave lives, let the politicians instead turn their attention to ensure that not one military life is lost more than necessary. Truly and with their hearts .
The Unknown Soldier would salute you.

That would be a Memorial and a half.
And then let there be memorials galore.

No comments: